Kelly Clarkson OWNING Clive Davis! WERQ!
February 19, 2013
So I just heard Clive Davis is releasing a memoir and spreading false information about me and my music. I refuse to be bullied and I just have to clear up his memory lapses and misinformation for myself and for my fans. It feels like a violation. Growing up is awesome because you learn you don’t have to cower to anyone - even Clive Davis.
First, he says I burst into “hysterical sobbing” in his office when he demanded Since You Been Gone be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn’t be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way.
But, yes, I did cry in his office once. I cried after I played him a song I had written about my life called “Because Of You.” I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a “sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me.” He continued on about how the song didn’t rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with.
But I continued to fight for the song and the label relented. And it became a worldwide hit. He didn’t include that in the book.
He also goes on to say My December wasn’t successful because I co-penned the album and it didn’t have “pop hits”. Well, first let me say, I’ve co-penned many of my “pop hits.” Secondly, My December went platinum (It sold 20,000 less than All I Ever Wanted which followed My December.) Hardly a huge failure. Never Again, the ONLY single they released in the US from that record was a Top 10 hit. I am very proud of that and I have my fans to thank. But, again, what’s most interesting about his story is what he leaves out: He doesn’t mention how he stood up in front of his company at a convention and belittled me and my music and completely sabotaged the entire project. It never had a chance to reach it’s full potential. My December was an album I needed to make for myself for many reasons and the fact that I was so completely disregarded and disrespected was so disheartening, there really aren’t words to explain….
Anyway, I love my job. I love my music. I love my fans. I love my label and all of my professional relationships… now. And I am grateful for Clive for teaching me to know the difference.
Cheers to another amazing year! And, as always, thanks for listening!
- anothercountrysong reblogged this from amillionbeats
- zfreelance reblogged this from iron-han
- iandsharman reblogged this from mariachillin
- iandsharman likes this
- mariachillin reblogged this from iron-han
- captainlitebrite likes this
- iron-han reblogged this from ohhappilyneverafter
- imsoglad-ifinallysee reblogged this from anch0rs-dr0wn-us
- imsoglad-ifinallysee likes this
- anch0rs-dr0wn-us reblogged this from amillionbeats
- iron-han likes this
- ohhappilyneverafter reblogged this from derpsdale
- justinwolff likes this
- kkwiz04 likes this
- soullessdhampir reblogged this from extraordinarygirl86
- jonathanwolf0726 likes this
- extraordinarygirl86 reblogged this from amillionbeats
- extraordinarygirl86 likes this
- l1veb4y0udi3 likes this
- kateohclock reblogged this from andyvoheartsbeards
- andyvoheartsbeards reblogged this from amillionbeats
- andyvoheartsbeards likes this
- iamwyldstyle reblogged this from amillionbeats and added:
- liberalwithguts likes this
- ericim91 reblogged this from amillionbeats
- wickedcherub likes this
- raiselm likes this
- sleeptightjamie likes this
- davidwknight reblogged this from amillionbeats
- nikolasnikita reblogged this from undaniably
- cloudbusting reblogged this from amillionbeats
- disco-heartss reblogged this from derpsdale
- disco-heartss likes this
- tylermmichaud reblogged this from derpsdale
- derpsdale reblogged this from undaniably
- undaniably reblogged this from amillionbeats and added:
- amillionbeats posted this